Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Big Move! The life and times of a frazzled Mom trying to sell her house!

                                     

Here goes nothing.  I want to pre-empt my blog by saying, "I'm a crappy writer".  I was not meant to write so please be kind.

Here is my diary of my attempt to sell my house and purchase another.  It's a scary proposition!

To begin. My husband and I built our "starter house" in 1995.  We felt the area was quiet.  Close to my job.  Within our budget and perfect to start out with.  With that being said….it is now 2011.  So much for a starter house.

This is not our first attempt to sell the house.  Chris and I tried to put the house on the market over 5 years ago.  We weren't in any hurry and felt that it was the perfect time to sell.   Of course it wasn't that simple.   Our realtor was a quantity seller.  She didn't get that we didn't want to rush a sale.   Every week we would be told that we needed to drop the price, drop the price, drop the price.
She didn't know our area and didn't "sell it".

In my frustration, we took the house off the market and then proceeded to just deal.

Our home was perfect for a young married couple but it wasn't quite meant for school aged kids.  Our school system is pretty poor.  The middle school is "the most violent school in Wake County" and our HS is within the top 10.
Luckily, we had the ability to get our kids in decent magnet schools and now a new change has come requiring us to sell our home.

We are fortunate to have my father in the area but as he has aged his health has waxed and waned.  My husband and I have decided to find a home that could accommodate my father and so starts our need to sell, sell, sell.

So how does one sell a house?  Your guess is as good as mine.  We have the original heating and air.  The original hot water heater, old carpeting and the normal wear and tear of a 16 year old home.

I have started the closet cleaning.  The purging/vomiting of the home. We have replaced ALL our window screens.

Today we had our carpets cleaned.  YAY!!!   They actually look pretty good for old kid/doggie riddled carpeting!

We are slowly getting our house seller ready.   We must replace our back door and HARDEST of all.  Find a decent realtor!!!  

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering why you were doing a clean-out. Good luck with it, Karen. I can't wait to read that you've sold it! And you are so NOT a crappy writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a great realtor, give me a call! Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally, I love you but you are a little too far away, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck!

    And I agree...you are not a crappy writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll call you tonight; hope it's still the same number. :)

    ReplyDelete